I’ve been wanting to try a lime cake for a while. I say lime, not lemon, because lemons are difficult to get here, but limes are easy and something I almost always have in my fridge. Our limes are the key limes which, incidentally, originate from Southeast Asia.
I searched for lemon cake recipes and found this one. It’s labelled as a lemon pound cake, but I’m not really sure it’s a pound cake, and judging by the comments others have left, they’re not, either. At any rate, I converted the volume measurements to weights, naturally, and switched out the lemon for lime. You can use either lemon or lime or even a mixture of both and it’ll be fine. 🙂
Key Lime Cake
Ingredients – Cake
- 190 grams (1 cup) sugar
- 115 grams (1/2 cup) butter, melted
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 150 grams (1 1/2 cups) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
Directions – Cake
- Mix sugar and butter.
- Add eggs, lime juice, and lime zest and mix well.
- Add salt, flour, and baking powder and mix.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Bake at 160C / 325F / gas mark 3 in a well-greased loaf pan for 1 hour,or until golden brown.
- Serve warm or cool.
Ingredients – Glaze
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
Directions – Glaze
- Mix the lime juice and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- As soon as the cake is removed from the oven, use a toothpick to make holes in top of cake and drizzle lime juice and sugar mixture over it.
I also upped the amount of lime juice in the cake and added lime zest so it would have a stronger lime flavour. Judging by the taste, I’m really glad I did. 🙂
Fahim wasn’t fond of the glaze – although it’s not really a glaze but a liquid, but I didn’t know what else to call it. He found it too tart for his taste buds. I liked it, but yes, it did have a strong flavour that could be overpowering.
I ended up applying a layer of lime icing over top, and that, Fahim and I both loved. Found delightful, actually. 🙂
Next time, I’ll leave off the glaze entirely and just apply the lime icing.