It’s yet another alternate spelling for jalabis, jalabees, jalebees, or… Pick one!
I found another recipe. Perhaps this is what I’m looking for?
- ½ cup corn starch
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sour milk
- ½ cup milk
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 pt cooking oil
- Sift together flour, corn starch and baking powder. Add sour milk and milk and mix well to form a soft batter.
- Put sugar and water to boil for 15 minutes to make a thin syrup. Add to milk mixture. Pour batter mixture into a squeeze bottle.
- Squeeze mixture into the hot oil, making a few rounds for one jellabie. Turn and fry until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and dip while hot in syrup for a few seconds.
- Remove from syrup and drain. Serve hot or cold.