In this picture, you can see the beet & feta cheese pizza at the bottom centre. To its immediate left is hummous, left and above of that is an eggplant dip. Above the pizza to the left is my wild yeast yoghurt naan. To the right of that is my blackened grilled salmon.
Beet & Feta Cheese Pizza was suggested by Mark of the CAMC group. It’s really quite a simple recipe.
The original recipe called for a golden beet. I didn’t know golden beets even existed, and they don’t exist here, so I used a regular garden-variety dark burgundy beet. 😀
I live in a tropical country. It’s always hot. So, if there’s a tiny amount of something to be baked, I tend to do it on top of the stove – it saves on the amount of heat that gets released into the kitchen, which saves on me sweating to death, and it also saves on the cost of gas. So, I roasted the beets on the top of the stove. 🙂
Roasted Beet Pizza (Pizza alla Barbabietola Arrostito)
- 1 (4-ounce) beet, roasted
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 (10-inch) pizza dough
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced onions
- Preheat oven to 260C/500F.
- When roasted beet is cool, trim off beet root and rub off the skin. Thinly slice the beets.
- Gently brush oil over the pizza dough. Arrange beet slices, onions, and cheese evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Put the pizza in the oven and bake for 8 minutes or until crust is golden. Remove from oven and let cool a couple of minutes. Sprinkle with salt if desired.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
For the pizza crust, I used a blob of my Wild Yeast Yoghurt Naan, to which I added some fresh rosemary that I had on hand.
Fahim’s reaction? "I think this is the first time I’ve ever loved beets." My reaction? Yeah, I was too busy enjoying the pizza… 😀