Since my first experiment of baking on the stove showed promise, I continued the experiment today. Some changes were made, of course. After all, that’s what experiments are! 🙂
Only this time, I put the stovetop oven contraption (for lack of a better term) onto the second smallest burner and put it on the lowest flame.
Then I remembered a stainless steel lid that I’d come across a day or two before, and added that on top of the aluminum lid at 25 minutes – less direct heat transference, more hot air, theoretically – and put it all back onto the second largest burner at the lowest flame setting and let it bake further. But it was progressing nicely, much better than yesterday.
Here you can see the two metal lids I’ve used as space separators. The second one, based on today’s experience, is definitely necessary, but it might be possible to work with just the stainless steel lid and not use the aluminum lid at all. That’ll be for further experiments.
And here you can see how the buns turned out. They’re still slightly underdone – need about one or two more minutes of baking time, but I didn’t want to burn the bottoms. The bottom of the buns is dark, but not to the point of tasting burnt. The buns were actually quite nice and much closer to the end goal.